Monday, April 11, 2005

Genesis 1:1

IN THE BEGINNING, there was a man who was curious about getting a weblog started. He brooded over the formless void on his computer monitor. And he said: LET THERE BE A WEBLOG. And, behold [after 10 minutes or so of tinkering with Blogger.com] there was a weblog, and he saw that, at least for the time being, the weblog was most excellent.

Why the title Pedantic Protestant? Well, I'm certainly pedantic, being paid in real life to be so; I'm also Protestant in the classical sense of upholding the main tenets of the Reformation. Finally, I have a fondness for alliteration. Pedantic Protestant --- after a minute or so of thinking "What should I name this blog?" --- seems to be as good of a name as any.

What is the point of this weblog? Honestly, I cannot answer that with any definiteness as of the present other than to say that there are certain ideas out there that, while being silly and requiring the same level of critical thought as does the successful popping of bubble wrap, are viewed as the hallmarks of sophisticated and modern thinking. Having been around such intense intellectual posturing for a respectable period of time, and having been sucked against my will into the midst of the vortex of such immense inanity, I consider myself reasonably qualified to comment on such matters while gleefully pointing out that the Emperor, if not totally naked, is quite scantily clad.

On what other matters will I post? I suppose the answer for now is: whatever happens to inspire me. I hope to balance positive entries with the more polemical entries. [It all depends on my mood, admittedly.] Regardless, I hope that the readers of this blog --- if any ever shall exist --- find the material interesting.