Sunday, June 12, 2005

Just For The Heck of It

Perhaps this reveals the sheltered nature of the PP's life, but I honestly didn't know that there is a genre of music called Christian Hip-Hop.

Check out this interview of the Gospel Gangstaz.

Reaching souls through Christian rap [I feel a certain dissonance in putting those previous two words in adjacent places], rappers Mr. Solo, Tik Tokk, and Chille' Baby attempt to fulfill their mission to save lost souls via rap music.

Favorite quote: regarding a bad experience with a record label, Tik Tokk states in the link that "We are gangstas and we are not going to be pimped."

To the Jews I become like a Jew to gain the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) to gain those under the law. To those free from the law I became like one free from the law (though I am not free from God's law but under the law of Christ) to gain those free from the law. To the weak I became weak in order to gain the weak. To the gangstaz I've become a rapper to save.....

EDIT: apparently, after a brief internet search, there is also a genre of music called "Christian Death Metal." Yet another interesting fact learned for today...

5 Comments:

Blogger centuri0n said...

Dude: there's a feud between KJ-52 (Christian whiteguy rapper) and Eminem (Marshal Mathers, white secular rapper). How can you not know these things?

As for Christian death metal, that's like saying, "I just whipped up this batch of Crystal Meth for the Lord's Supper." Some things just don't go together. And don't give me that pomo hooey about reaching out to sinners "where they are".

Monday, June 13, 2005 6:15:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Hey Frank:

I suppose this is what happens when you have your nose in a book, consider going to Taco Bell "fine dining," and consider "Adult Swim" the champagne of evening TV programming. =D

As I put this post up, I wasn't sure if I was putting it up as part of the PP credo to "indefatigably fight the inanities posing as modern thought" or as something merely to pique readers after a somewhat verbose attempt at something serious.

I don't want to poop on everything just because it doesn't fit my parameters, but at the same time, silliness is silliness. You find this to be silliness. I'm leaning that way on it myself.

PP

Monday, June 13, 2005 2:18:00 PM  
Blogger centuri0n said...

Yeah, one cannot "poop" on everything, but I linked to an article bt Steve Camp in his blog, and I think he nails this particular topic exactly.

Now here's the flip side: I definitely sell KJ-52 at the bookstore. I'd be stupid not to. But the question is not "should we be rapping in church as a praise chorus" but "is this better for kids than Eminem and 50 Cent"? If I thought this was the extent of the choice, I'd say Mos' Def'. Thus, we sell KJ-52 and T-Bone and the Cross Movement -- because many parents do not have the equipment to challenge their kids to be in but not of. And you can imagine what kind of help they are getting at church ...

So if they must listen to rap, let them at least have the Gospel message in there someplace -- however flawed it might be. One of the things I can remember about my atheist days is listening to rock and roll and following the artists, and then realizing that the message in the music and the lives of the artists were, frankly, a complete mess. That was a motivator for me personally to start thinking about what kind of life I was living and left me (in the end) totally ready to hear the Gospel. maybe the Gospel hidden inside rap noise will drive these kids to compare the message to the music and realize that when Paul followed Christ he counted all as loss to know Christ, to seek the fellowship of His suffering and the power of His resurrection.

-peaceout-

Monday, June 13, 2005 6:11:00 PM  
Blogger centuri0n said...

props to adult swim, teen titans and Justice League Unlimited.

Monday, June 13, 2005 6:12:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

I get a lot of my theology from Aqua Teen Hunger Force myself.

PP

Monday, June 13, 2005 6:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home