Thursday, June 02, 2005

Pick a Pope, Any Pope

Pope Benedict XVI has competition [?]:

Pope Michael

Pope Pius XIII

[The last link is courtesy of Jason Engwer from NTRMin. Thanks Jason --- your PP coffee mug is on its way!]

Assuming that these aren't hoax sites [and perhaps they are, but it doesn't look like it], what's the point here?

Answer: the claim that Sola Scriptura leads to division or a lack of unity with respect to classical Protestants is a stone that those with glass houses should not throw.

If SS is false, that is, if there is another infallible rule of faith apart from Scripture, it isn't because Protestants are divided in some fashion.

Each of the three sets of papal followers for the men mentioned above will claim that the other set of followers is wrong for whatever reason, whether good or bad. If the Roman Catholic apologist wants to use the fact that there are disagreements under X to impugn X, then he must be willing to have the same implication apply to his side as well.

As for the PP, the whole idea of multi-Poping is a non sequitur with regards to whether Roman Catholicism is true. In other words, I wouldn't argue against Rome on the basis of multiple popes or multiple schools of Catholic thought [liberal, conservative Sedevacantist, Traditionalist, Modernist, etc]; I would hope that my mythical arch-enemy, a Pedantic Papist, say, would argue against Sola Scriptura on the basis that it is false because there is good evidence that there are other infallible rules of faith, and not on some ex post facto sociological statement that [gasp!] Protestants disagree!

4 Comments:

Anonymous 1689 said...

I prefer Pope Pius XIII. He looks more like a Pope than Pope Michael. And I prefer the idea of a Pope from Montana to the idea of a Pope in Kansas.

I considered making myself Archbishop once, but then I went out and got a real job instead. My grandfather used to think that he was the rightful King of England - which would have been true IF two people had been married when they had a child. They weren't.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 7:59:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

I'm already a pope according to the more lazy brand of RCism --- one of millions of popes who uses his private judgement!

Unlike you though, I can claim no almost-royal bloodlines.

PP

Thursday, June 02, 2005 1:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Jason said...

These gentlemen aren't exactly news.

They give the real anti-Popes of history a bad name.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Jason --- yes, this is purely derivative and old news. I merely thought it worth posting since it seems to exemplify the moral I wanted to state. I hope I didn't come across in the thread as discovering this breaking news!

PP

Thursday, June 02, 2005 2:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home