Tuesday, July 26, 2005

"Pleasant" And "DMV" Can Indeed Appear In The Same Sentence Without The Universe Collapsing In Laughter

Before putting up Part 3B of the PedPol series [dealing with guns and the right to bear arms], I have to report a positive thing.

I have recently relocated to California to begin a new life that hopefully is an improvement over my academic life in the frozen wasteland of the Midwestern part of the country. Much progress still must be made for the operation to be considered a success.

Upon moving to CA, one must in relatively short time apply for a CA Driver's License. I think back to the 80's when I had my paperwork, exam, and driver's test as a teenager at a particular DMV branch: a sea of people, cranky employees, everything seemingly designed and done with a "screw you" attitude. Some 17 years later, I was expecting the same thing.

But here is where the internet is a good thing. You can make appointments online with the CA DMV. I made an appointment for around 9am or so, and the place was clean, spacious, and, best of all, no long lines. The clerks were friendly, and, without having to read the CA Driver's Handbook, I passed the written exam, being fortunate to get some questions correct where I wasn't quite sure. Getting a CA license took no more than 35 minutes or so, and that's counting the time to take the exam, be photographed, fill out some forms. This let me get out of there quickly, head to the university, and do truly important things, such as discuss why none of my tennis strokes generate topspin, making me the worst player ever at the tennis club.

So, while I hate bureacracy, Big Government, etc [and you'll see the froth in later installments of the PedPol series, assuredly], the little jaunt at the DMV today was
as pleasant as an experience with Big Gov't could be.

Now we just have to get the Chevy registered with the State of CA, which will, alas extract several pounds and pence from the Pedantic Pocketbook.

8 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

Well, didn't take long for you to go soft on the revolution, comrade. A little golden state sunshine here, a few pineapple trees there, and you're already a volunteer vassal of BIG BROTHER--you crypto-commie, you! :-)

At this rate you'll have a link to Arianna Huffington's blog by the end of the week. Clearly the Turkoman and I need to kidnap you and put you thru some heavy-duty deprogramming, tuff-luv style, to get these Mexifornicational germs out of your bloodstream. :-)

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 5:55:00 AM  
Blogger steve said...

Unless you renounce this shocking flirtation with Big Brother and revert to your libertarian roots, I'll have to denounce you to c.t. as a closet theocrat! You'll be sorry! :-)

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 6:54:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

But I just got fitted for a "Che" tee-shirt, not to mention that I just put a Worker's World Party bumper sticker on the VW Van.

I will note though that I have suddenly begun to like the color red. And I have the urge, a la the Great Leap Forward, to start making trouble for private property owners!

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

PS --- Steve, you've used up your weekly allotment of smileys.

And ignore the phantom apostrophe above in the Commie party I mentioned.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger CrimsonCatholic said...

Fortunately, the Laguna Hills DMV is nowhere near as efficient (it's an absolute madhouse if you fail to make a reservation, but only a living nightmare if you make one). Thus, residents of south OC can retain our conservative contempt for government uninterrupted by competent service, which leaves me free to complain about the birth certificate requirement. Coming from one of the more technologically and governmentally backward states of the union (that being Louisiana), it takes two months for me to get a certified copy of my birth certificate, making it impossible for me to comply with the nominal requirement of getting a driver's license within 10 days, even though the actual illegals that this policy is supposed to stop probably find it no more difficult to get fake birth certificates then fake Social Security cards, and at any rate, don't give a flying flip about complying with the 10-day rule. And I've managed to register my vehicle and to register to vote without yet managing to obtain a driver's license, which makes me wonder exactly what this stupid birth certificate requirement is supposed to be protecting. If this is how the government addresses the problem of illegals, I'm appalled that there are pseudo-conservative talk show hosts that are calling for more government action, rather than just letting the Minutemen actually do something.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger centuri0n said...

I condemn you for your chumminess with Crimson Catholic, and for your Left-coastedness in being nice to the DMV.

I would also condemn you for having a "grand ol' time", but that's based on hearsay and I have to abide by my own standards. Well, that and nobody would believe me.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 2:26:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Uh, Frank, yeah, hearsay....yeah.

That busful of models that pulled up to my place last night...yeah, uh, it was Song of Solomon night....yeah, a BIBLE STUDY! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm not going soft on the revolution, but I'm still in shock as to how easy the experience was [maybe because I lived in CA up to 1998 it was easier than for the nefarious Crimson Catholic, who, I believe, never had a CA record before].

Anyway, I'm going to scream "ANARCHY NOW" 100 times to re-establish my antistatist credentials!

As for you, Jonathan, I don't know why your experience there was so comparably awful compared to mine. And, yes, it is immensely frustrating to know that those who follow the law often see those who break the law get away with it while we law-abiding folks have to furnish forms out of the wazoo.

Perhaps we could live in Steve's theonomic theocracy, eh? :-)

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 4:23:00 PM  
Blogger CrimsonCatholic said...

OK, OK, there are *worse* things than pointlessly inefficient bureaucracy! ;-)

I'm just grousing for no good reason, BTW. Laguna Hills is overcrowded simply because of the population boom in south OC. In most places, the appointment system has made DMV visits in CA about as easy as anywhere in the country.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005 7:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home