Saturday, August 20, 2005

Temporary Admin Announcement for Centuri0n and John B.

What happened to the post outlining my position on sola scriptura? Was it abducted by aliens? Did members of Opus Dei erase the post from the space-time continuum? Did I convert to Romanism last night, necessitating a quick hit of the delete button?

Answer: the post was poorly expressed and heavily muddled, and despite three edits, I wasn't happy after the edits. So, given that this is an important enough topic to merit clarity and some degree of thought, I've deleted the thread and will put up something much better, longer, and [so we hope] clearer within the next week.

To Frank and John Bugay: apologies on the comment erasure.

Frank: I didn't quite understand your questions.

John Bugay: Your comment was longer, and I only skimmed it before realizing that your point on the Marian business was good, necessitating a complete overhaul of the post. So, I've "sort-of" responded to you, although in a non-standard way: I removed the post! As to your other comments there, I think dealing with Blondel [sp?], I've never read him, hence I have no comments to offer.

NOTE: this post was for Frank and John B., and it is coming down in a few days, having no global relevance relative to the rest of the blog.

11 Comments:

Blogger Phil Johnson said...

Dear Pedantic Protestant:

  Here are a few lines of verse.
  They are neither long nor clever.
  Even though my stanza is terse
  It's my only published poem ever.

________________________

Are you really going to delete this post and destroy a piece of literary history?

Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:27:00 AM  
Anonymous John Bugay said...

Thanks PP, looking forward to your revisions

Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:28:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

I suppose not now, since your post proves to all that you read the PP blog. I wouldn't want to destroy this prize testimonial!

Saturday, August 20, 2005 10:09:00 AM  
Anonymous John Bugay said...

Couple of links for you:

http://www.ub.uni-freiburg.de/referate/02/blondel/blondel0en.htm

http://www.crossroadsinitiative.com/library_article/54/Ressourcement_Theology__Aggiornamento_and_the_Hermeneutics_of_Tradition.html

Saturday, August 20, 2005 10:35:00 AM  
Anonymous John Bugay said...

Sorry, PP, one of my links didn't make it through the comment system.

Here is that second link, in a more palatable format:
http://tinyurl.com/9gp2m

Saturday, August 20, 2005 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

John: are the links given with an "FYI" attitude or was there something specific about them you wanted me to see? I skimmed the second re-copied link.

Saturday, August 20, 2005 2:14:00 PM  
Anonymous JB said...

PP, the first was a general link about Blondel, and the second was a fairly good overview of the phenomenon which Blondel helped to facilitate, the "ressourcement" movement. My contention would be that "ressourcement" is the Catholic excuse for not ever having to answer questions about its own history. (Never having to say they're sorry.)

Saturday, August 20, 2005 4:11:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

John:

I view the defense of Rome as having the same plasticity as do the defenses of Darwinism and Marxism. I get the strong impression that everything can be worked into a Just-So apologetic. I wish I had saved some old discussions from real life to show you what I mean.

So, if you wanted an opinion [obviously stated without argument], there it is.

The major incongruity that I see in Romanist apologetics is that, on the one hand, a person claims that RCism is solidly Biblical, while, on the other hand, this thesis only follows after introducing a set of historical/philosophical assumptions about what God would've been willing to allow, the development of dogma/doctrine, and so on. These assumptions, and not the supposed Biblical evidence, are what clinches the case for Rome. I'm speaking only from personal experience here; perhaps there are other types of Roman apologetics out there.

Sunday, August 21, 2005 12:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps there are other types of Roman apologetics out there.

Yes, there is the Inquisition.

Sunday, August 21, 2005 6:40:00 PM  
Blogger centuri0n said...

Did I ask you a question? I don't even remember the post, but it demonstrates your ample integrity for admitting that you're so anathemacious.

Monday, August 22, 2005 9:32:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Actually, El Franko Guapo, I don't remember myself.

As for the anathemacious reference, I don't get it.

Monday, August 22, 2005 11:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home