Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Three-Hankie & Stuff

My PC died last night. I'm not sure if it is hardware-related, virus-related, or related to some other state of affairs.

I attempted to use the emergency boot discs, but these didn't work either. All I could do was to attempt to reformat the hard drive and hope to reinstall some drivers, but the system crashed on this as well.

So, the Pedantic Pocketbook will in the next few days be about $1000 or so lighter. And on top of that, there will be the matter of reinstalling some software, reinstalling updates, transferring my Radeon 9600pro video card and RAM cards from the old computer to the new one, and other things that will make this project take double the time I plan for it to take. I'll probably be a nonentity online-wise for about a week, speaking conservatively. [Of course, given the low readership here, I'm already a non-entity in the online sense -- haha -- better say that before anybody beats me to the punch.] The weeping is open, and I sit in an ash-heap scraping myself with broken pottery as I ponder the question of evil as it relates to dead computers.

So where is this blog post coming from? Answer: the computer in my office. While no students are in here for questions, I can noodle away at this post. But most of the good stuff takes place at my residence, where, alas, my formerly living computer now sits waiting its embalming and burial.

Here are some [as the title of the posts indicates] loose ends with no intended relation between the individually stated points. This post will represent a real, living random walk through a blog session, provided that nobody drops by for help on statistical matters!

Individual points:

(1) Regarding the picture spread a few posts below, one might think that "M" was a snapshot of me. It turns out that "M" was my buddy Dave. We both had a chuckle as I hoisted his photo up. About the pics:

(a) I say "nuclear" and not "nu-q-lur," so I can't be President Bush.
(b) My personality can be Gorn-like at times, but I'm an Earthling, promise.
(c) No dice here.
(d) As I've played Dr Svendsen in basketball, and as I can't be two different people, I'm not Dr Svendsen.
(e) If I was a Kiss guy, I would've been the cat guy, not Gene Simmons. I don't even like Kiss.
(f) Lacking any mind control powers, this possibility is eliminated too. To paraphrase Yoda: Darth Vader PP is not!
(g) Catholics may say I'm my own pope, but I'm not a resurrected JPII. Promise.
(h) I can't think of a punchline here.
(i) If I were a Transformer, I would've been.....wait, let's not go there. Too many 80's references on this blog already.
(j) I can only dream of being Frank Turk, driving the fully functioning Centuri0n Van. But at the same time, that leaked videotape of Frank mowing his lawn shirtless is out on the internet, so that might dampen my enthusiasm.
(k) This may, in retrospect, have been a bit too flippant. I had a nominal-Catholic friend growing up who dabbled in Satanism and occultism, and it wasn't pleasant. I believe some of the weird stuff that he claims happened to him.
(l) "Steve Hays" is an adaptive-AI construct, whereas I'm a living breathing fellow. No luck here.
(m) See the above.
(n) Possibly the second-most-probable candidate for the true identity. Also, having counted the number of cells on my person, I come to a number a bit larger than one, so it is safe to say --- despite indications to the contrary --- I'm not a unicellular creature, and hence not amoebic.
(o) Like, this pic is so totally, silly. To be frank, she's "hot" in a base way, but there's nothing attractive about her in the picture.

So in short, the entire pic spread was a little prank. I thought it might boost readership a bit. It may have worked otherwise!

(2) Somebody asked me about pseudonymity: why the pseudonym? This is a fair question. This blog started out as a sort of "lark" and I merely thought PP was a funny-yet-accurate description of the blogmeister. In reality, many people, both friend and foe, know my true Clark Kent-like identity. I've pretty much spelled it out in a few places here on this blog, even, and I've told those few who have actually cared enough to ask. It isn't that big a deal, though I do wonder about how employers would use my outspokenness for conservative Christianity against me if they tried to do internet searches on my name. Perhaps this is paranoid.

(3) To state again, PP is probably going to lay dormant for a week. This will cheer some and disappoint some, and I will only concern myself with this latter group!

7 Comments:

Blogger c.t. said...

Last time my computer did what yours did I said "save everything next time, remember". Up to this moment in time, with my new - cheaper - computer, I havn't saved anything or been responsible like that at all...

Maybe I lost everything the first time around, so it doesn't really matter now.

It's totally legitimate to remain anonymous due to the google+fascist-liberal factor (not to mention the google+dumb-human factor (you know, people who see your name and a mere reference to Pol Pot and assume you're "pro-Pol Pot". I mean, I've made a reference to Mein Kampf regarding Hitler's two chapters on 'advertising' (in the context of talking about propaganda and/or Madison Ave.) that if a typical slow-moving, slow-thinking employer (not that I'm the quickest brain cell on the block, mind you) googled up would definitely not take in the accurate-context sort of way...

- ct
http://electofgod.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 5:43:00 PM  
Blogger rashawn61mireya said...

damn good blog, check out mine http://juicyfruiter.blogspot.com, comments always welcome!

Thursday, August 25, 2005 7:06:00 AM  
Blogger centuri0n said...

juicy: you blog colors made me go blind. Now I can't post on my blog anymore.

Confound you!

Thursday, August 25, 2005 2:17:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

c.t. --- What if I've only read the oceanic Word of God complete [Genesis through Revelation mind you] 6x and not 7x? Is my salvation in jeopardy?

Thursday, August 25, 2005 6:31:00 PM  
Blogger c.t. said...

I don't speak of salvation. You can't do anything to save yourself.

You can move closer to God so that He will move closer to you (James chapter 4), though, and reading His Word in a serious, dedicated way which is what complete readings are (you spend alot of time with God during a complete reading) is the foundational way of doing that.

Chalk up another lame mocking of the mention of reading the Word of God. Par for the course among the man-fearing, mainstream Christian level...

Oh, I see, you just wanted to distance yourself from me so people coming to your blog wouldn't think you were connected with me ideologically/theologically or any other way... That's a legitimate concern!

Friday, August 26, 2005 5:09:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

c.t. --- here's a little reality check: This blog only averages around a hundred or so readers a day, and there is nothing to prove here. Just a mom-n-pop blog.

I was poking at you somewhat impishly, nothing more. Having a bit o' fun.

For myself, I spend a fair amount of time concentrating on one writing at a time.

BTW --- I notice the homoerotic references to myself, the Turkoman, and the Stevinator slathering each other with suntan lotion. Is this the post-7x-complete reading c.t. on display, or is this the carnal c.t. who is at war with the spiritual c.t.? Just curious.

Friday, August 26, 2005 3:55:00 PM  
Blogger c.t. said...

It's a reference from a person who has just experienced about three straight months of unusually not-dry 100+ degree weather, day after day after day after day after day. It bakes your brain and makes you write non sequiturs having to do with the sun...

But I frankly don't see anything homoerotic in it.

Friday, August 26, 2005 10:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home