Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Heroic Challenge : Heroic Response

When not railing against Satanic manuscripts and living up to his/her/its Haysian description of a "certain androgynous potty-mouthed troll," this troll fetishizes his/her/its "seven complete Bible readings" while acting as if he/she/it is the only person to read "classic lit."

Go ahead and copy me, Christian bloggers. Post reading progress of a book. Any book. A Biblical book or any other book. I don't have it registered or copyrighted. In my previous internet existence one thing I found the internet to be practically useful for was for creating incentive for doing and finishing projects. When you post progress of a project it creates incentive to continue with it and finish it.

Since I love a good challenge, I have decided to quit my job so as to make a full-time affair of making it through 2 John. I can't dream of reading it seven times complete since I'm not that literate. However, a man can always dream big dreams, and my challenge is to make it through the thirteen harrowing verses of this epistle. I'll list the verses:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

I've read the first three verses, but that took a few months, and I'm suffering from burnout. However, now that I'm posting the results of my progress on 2 John, maybe, just maybe, I'll get a little bit farther than last year's attempt, and, perhaps, if my years are long and if good health is to be had, I'll finish 2 John [!!]. Perhaps at that stage, I too may emulate c.t.'s sanctified state. However, reading it seven times is clearly out of the question for a fellow like myself who considers reading something like Jughead with Archie Digest Magazine [oh those wacky Riverdale kids!] to be a taxing affair.

4 Comments:

Blogger c.t. said...

Wasn't a challenge, but a suggestion.

And, yes, it's an innocent, non-worldly thing to do.

To read a book with no other motive other than to purse Wisdom herself... No worldly motivation, no grades, no degrees, nothing to do with job or money, nothing to do with sex, just a motivation to pursue Wisdom.

You may be mocked by the world. So be it!

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger c.t. said...

Try to see the difference between "reading classic lit.", which afterall any number and categories of fools, some called professors, do every day, and getting to where you can discern hierarchy of levels of influence among influences themselves.

Motivation is central. If you filter every higher influence through vanity, worldly pride, and self-will, if you are engaging them to begin with for worldly reasons, to get a grade, to sound knowledgeable at a cocktail party, etc., you get nothing, or very little, from what that influence has to offer. If you receive them passively (as difficult as that word sounds to vanity and pride), as an innocent, if you will, with the sole motivation to pursue Wisdom herself, the influence isn't filtered and goes deeper and the effect is to awaken you (to put it in few words).

Notice that Boar's Head patron who mocked me saying I was writing above my 'education level', etc. That is typical of a person who only sees influences as worldly things, associated with institutions of learning, that exist to get you a piece of paper that allows you to get a job, etc., etc.

Then read Emerson on Plutarch, for instance, and see what I'm talking about. Read Tyndale on the plowboy reading the Word of God. The Roman priests reacted the same way as that Boar's Head patron.

I'm being a little unfair in that I have a body of knowledge and experience behind what I write and try to describe at the mainstream level using biblical language, but that is the way it has to be. Some read it, get hints and clues, and catch on; some read it and get upset. So be it. It's evangelization. The same dynamics, running into the same forces and laws of human nature...the world, the flesh, the devil...

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Well, I'm in Rom 15 now after over a month on Romans, so I'm a complete slowpoke compared to your 20-chapter-per-day agenda.

On the other hand, slowpoke that I am, I'm pretty thorough in my studies, and that hopefully makes up for the slowness.

The thought of going through Hohner's multi-volume Ephesians commentary soon is not a titillating prospect, btw....

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:16:00 AM  
Blogger c.t. said...

You keep insisting on comparing apples and oranges. Complete Bible readings are not individual book studies.

The complete readings make the individual book studies more profitable though.

Understanding is seeing the parts in relation to the whole. There's only one way to get the whole of Scripture in understanding: dedicated, complete, Genesis through Revelation readings.

And remember: to increase understanding (of anything, including the Book of Romans) you have to increase your capacity for new understanding. Otherwise you're pouring new wine into an old bottle (which can't hold the new wine...)

I have a post on my blog somewhere with 'new bottle' in the title...

I'm also not going to allow you to imply that because I write about complete readings of the Bible I therefore, in some calculus in the PP's world, denigrate the studying of single books of the Bible. I happen to do single book studies myself (and if you read any post on my blog on the subject of complete Bible readings you will read me on the subject of other kinds of Bible study as well). I do ALL KINDS of Bible studies. I did a complete study of every figure of speech used in the Bible just this past spring, for instance. Using Bullinger's work. I recommend it, pilgrims.

The complete readings, though, are the foundation. Get ye the foundation!

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home