Friday, September 16, 2005

Tennis Lessons and Romans 7:13-25

I know that the tennis pro is one textbook dude, but I am a novice, sold under ineptitude. I do not understand my forehand. For the shot I'd like to hit, I do not hit, but the uppercut shot that lands far off the court that I don't want to hit, that shot I hit. But if I throw my racket and swear at the uppercut shot that lands far off the court, I agree with the club pro's tennis textbook that it is good. Therefore, it is no longer I hitting the uppercut shot that lands far off the court, but the rank novice inside me. For I know that no genuinely textbook forehand shot dwells within me, that is, within my amateurish body. For I do not hit what good shot I want to hit --- but the shot I don't want to hit: that shot I hit. I find then this principle: that when I want to hit a good shot, the desire to uppercut is present within me. For my inner player delights in textbook forehand form, but the tendency to uppercut is at war against my members. What a wretched player I am! Who will rescue me from this uppercutting body of futility? Thanks be to the Club Pro through the $50 check I write him for today's lesson!

4 Comments:

Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Dear Readers, this is why I'm not at stand-up comic!

Friday, September 16, 2005 9:32:00 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

No, its funny, even haha funny. It may be a little high brow for Joe-Internet :)

Try something a little more low brow - for the bottom feeders. Here are my efforts.

Saturday, September 17, 2005 9:09:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Note to self --- no fisticuffs with Daniel if we ever argue...

I'm sympathetic to your point about letting your skills and background speak for themselves as compared to gladhanding and being one's own salesman. Alas, the latter option seems to be what businesses want, qualifications be damned!

Saturday, September 17, 2005 2:27:00 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Yeah, I don't get that - who wants to work with someone who thinks that highly of himself?

Monday, September 19, 2005 1:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home