Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Assorted Moronica from The Progressive Christian

One of my readers sent me an email saying I was skewered by some nascent blog called The Progressive Christian. There are two ways one can go with these sorts of blogs. One can respond to them, and in the process give them publicity they really shouldn't have; one could alternatively just ignore them.

Given the imp streak that resides not too far underneath the exterior personality, I'll indulge myself. Let's see what this blogger says and see if there is anything to which we can react.

Preliminary comments:

(a) The Progressive Christian, henceforth PC, says in the "about me" section: "I'm tolerant, open-minded, progressive, and not bound by superstitious things such as the Bible." I personally shudder when I hear the word "progressive," considering it anything but that. And, what does the word actually mean? Progressing to what? And why is the "what" to which one is progressing [how's that for an impressive display of relative pronouns? :-) ] any good in the first place? Argumentation somewhere down the line, please.

(b) Note that PC is also an acronym for "politically correct." Ain't that a coincidence!

(c) Readers who check the comments there will note that PC really doesn't answer questions head-on. Sounds like my undergrad victim studies profs and the assorted lefty goofballs I've met over the years.

(d) PC skewers [if that's the word] Hays in the segment from which I've taken the quote below, so, at least I'm in good company. We at least draw the same ire from the leftists!

OK, here's the money quote:

As another example of sheer right-wing intolerance, there is some pseudonmyous phony out there named "The Pedantic Protestant" (same hesitancy to link as above) who I believe is one of the shrillest and ignorant excuses that the right has ever put forward. I noticed that today he had a piece on guns and women. He actually believes in arming women! I also note his great condescension to womyn, and this doubtless carries over to womyn of color.

He made fun of white ribbons, but symbolism is important. Instead of guns, perhaps if we were wearing white ribbons, we could bring violence against womyn into the collective public conscience, and that includes whatever oppressors are out there. Perhaps with enough public awareness and conscienceness the rapists and abusers could perhaps focus their energies on right wing demagogues like "PP" instead. (smile)

Violence only begets violence, and guns beget violence. I'm sure Jesus and Krishna and Buddha would've been for gun control, since Jesus said "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar." The answer isn't guns, but social justice.

Let's all be Christian and work for social justice.


http://tolerantlovingchristian.blogspot.com

Well, I was going to enumerate some points, but basically, there doesn't seem to be anything to which I can actually respond. What we have here is nothing but PC throwing a bunch of labels around and acting as if they're an argument.

Call me shrill, ignorant. Spell "women" by the neologism "womyn." Throw "Jesus" around in random spots as well. I fail to see an argument. Now perhaps as I've gotten older I can't see arguments anymore. But, for the life of me, this is nothing but the sort of moronica that I've come to expect from leftists whose only argument is their apparent need to feel smug and self-righteous.

Oh, I'd better be careful and not make this post "too white," lest I draw wrath from PC for not dealing with "womyn of color."

Actually, the left is such an intellectual parody of itself that while I'd say that PC is nothing but a hackneyed hoax [and a poor one at that], it is hard to see just how different this purported hoax is from some of the lunacy I saw back at my Catholic institution.

12 Comments:

Blogger lycaphim said...

For me, I consider the fella who blogs there to silly to warrant a response.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 12:20:00 AM  
Anonymous 1689 said...

Ah, the sweet nonsense of the progressives! I mean to say, what on earth does the bloke actually mean? Or does he have brain-rot like so many progressives?

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 2:37:00 AM  
Blogger David Gadbois said...

Actually, I thought that the "Progressive Christian" was a parody blog. If this guy is for real, I'm surprised.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 9:42:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Perhaps it is a parody after all. On the heels of Rev James Jackson, it isn't all that original if it is a parody.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 2:35:00 PM  
Anonymous 1689 said...

The trouble is, it's so difficult to parody the 'progressive Christians', they do it themselves. Thus the 'reductio ad absurdum', which is the essence of parody, is so hard to do without being mistaken for the real thing.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Ree said...

I've been convinced it's a parody from the first time I ran across his comments and part of the reason for that was the "coincidental" initials PC, as you pointed out. The thing pretty much clinched it for me, though, was this. http://p102.ezboard.com/fntrmindiscussionboardfrm9.showMessage?topicID=1411.topic

Thursday, November 10, 2005 1:12:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Ree ---

You're thinking it is a hoax based on one out-of-place word?

That seems like hanging too much wood on too small a nail.

If I had to place odds on it being a hoax, it would be "pick 'em."

Time will tell [?].

Thursday, November 10, 2005 1:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Ree said...

I think it's a pretty significant out-of-place word. A true liberal would know his own camp's lingo better than that. It would be something like a Reformed poser referring to Presuppositionalism as Predestinarianism or something.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 2:01:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Just to play devil's advocate here. I've heard leftists talk about "free trade this" and "fair trade that" around the university.

I'll slip every now and then. DA correctly pointed out that I kept unconsciously calling Hardon's "The Catholic Catechism" by "CCC."

On a funnier note, I remember my high school trig teacher [a Christian guy who was getting married] writing "sex" for "sec x" [the secant of x] multiple times during class. High humor for an 11th-grader!

Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Mark said...

"I personally shudder when I hear the word 'progressive,' considering it anything but that. And, what does the word actually mean? Progressing to what?"

To be fair, the word "conservative" is equally empty of meaning. (Conserving what? Go back several centuries, and today's "conservatives" are that time's "radicals"...) "Progressive" works well enough as a shorthand for "things can't stay how they are, and the solutions we need haven't been widely applied before."

And weak argumentation is equally represented on all parts of the political spectrum, as is strong argumentation. Everyone has their blind spots where they have to either wave their hands and admit they don't know, but they can't admit they don't know.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:01:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Mark --- these are completely reasonable questions to ask. I'll attempt to answer them in a separate PP thread.

BTW --- if I understand you correctly, I agree with the thrust of them.

Friday, November 11, 2005 4:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Mark said...

"Mark --- these are completely reasonable questions to ask. I'll attempt to answer them in a separate PP thread."

I look forward to seeing it!

Sunday, November 13, 2005 5:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home