Sunday, November 27, 2005

The More Things Change....

[Primarily for Diane, but also for other readers who have known me for a while.]

1976 [or 1977] The parents go shopping for furniture at some store. They can't locate little Eric. They find him, not sitting in the temple explaining the law to the priests, but in front of a display featuring a Pong Unit.

1978-1979 The parents go to the pizza. But Eric doesn't sit with them. He's playing Sea Wolf, Space Invaders, Asteroids, etc. Of course, he's asking for quarters too.

1979-1983 Shopping at a department store for school clothes or clothes in general [ick!], Eric is found gawking at whatever Atari 2600 games are on display.

1982 Dad goes to a Radio Shack for some phonograph component. Eric looks at the Intellivsion units there.

1987-8 Last year of high school, Eric goes shopping with Mom, looks at Nintendo games.

1998 Diane and Eric go to Target, Eric hovers to where the Playstation games are.

2000-1 Same story, replace Playstation with Dreamcast.

2001-4 Diane and Eric go to a computer store, Eric is in the PC games aisle.

2005 The hero of this post, in his thirties, goes to Best Buy to scout out fridge and television prices. He ends up spending 90% of his time looking at the XBOX 360. In another sociological coincidence, plenty of other twenty-, thirty-, and forty-something males are standing around with a very covetous look in their eye.

Can you, dear reader, spot the pattern here?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Diane said...

Fridges and tvs are boring so it's not surprising that you would prefer the Xbox 360. Are there any games ready for it?

Monday, November 28, 2005 7:24:00 AM  
Blogger Sojourner said...

Pedantic,

I hope you don't mind if I call you by your first name, but I am a lifelong gamer addict. I foolishly went to Best Buy the morning the XBox 360 came out thinking that if I got there a little before opening time I'd get one. HA!

There were tents in the parking lot. People had camped out. What irked me most was that I hadn't thought of it. Especially since they are going for $1000 or so on ebay.

Monday, November 28, 2005 7:51:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Haha Sojourner, my first name is Eric...

I remember the similar phenomenon with PlayStation 2. I had a friend [with money] who bought his for $500 or $600 I believe.

As for XBOX 360, it will have to wait a few months anyway, since there are some long-term projects in real life on which I need to work!

But a man --- rumored to be in his thirties --- can still dream...

Monday, November 28, 2005 1:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home