Thursday, November 24, 2005

Understanding Beer-Drinkers Better

Having had nothing but water to drink for 11 or 12 days now, and having kicked the soda habit [though the desire is still there], I broke protocol somewhat at Thanksgiving dinner when somebody suggested that I try a certain beer.

Now in the past I have not had much beer:

(i) The taste was too bitter
(ii) I'm a real lightweight when it comes to alcohol

and

(iii) I prefer[red] soda.

With (iii) out of the option, I decided to try some beer. Now not having sugary fizz water on my tongue for close to two weeks, the beer, instead of tasting like paint thinner, actually had a taste to it.

So, in the end, a minor discovery was made. Some beer has a satisfying taste. This beer had a full-bodied taste and it tasted good and felt good going down the hatch.

But as for the quenching capacity, beer still doesn't do as much [IMO] as water. Water is better. However, I'd imagine that a lot of beer drinking is not done for reasons that are strictly thirst-related. If I trust the beer commercials, drinking beer surrounds you with beautiful women and gets you invited to hot, trendy parties moreso than being, say, a rather vanilla Evangelical blogger with his own set of faults. [Another note: these parties are probably more interesting than "Bible Study Night at Josh's apartment" or "Another 60 minutes on the treadmill at the health club."]

Resolved: I'll stop looking at beer drinking people with a puzzled look of wonder. I sort of see why, now.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of T-Day, folks!

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

I used to drink Guinness (that dark, dark, beer). It was my favorite!

I quit drinking about five years ago though.

Friday, November 25, 2005 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Why did you stop?

As for me, I just never got into it.

Friday, November 25, 2005 10:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home