Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Another Extra-Crispy PP Comment Bucket


Here are some miscellaneous and unconnected comments about whatever happened to immediately come to mind. I promise nothing regarding profundity.

(1) I'm listening to Dave's "80's Millenium New Wave Party" CD by Rhino Records, in particular, the B-52's Rock Lobster. I have absolutely no idea why this song was a hit. I can understand Devo's Whip It and Madness' Our House being hits, but, I cannot understand Rock Lobster's popularity.

On the other hand, Frank Zappa's Valley Girl is completely hilarious. Totally Zappa.

(2) Has anybody read the anti-chiropractic literature on the internet? I've gone to the chiropractor before, and I've never seen any of them behave in a fashion that those who consider chiropractic to be quackery allege to be a mark of chiropractic care. The way some of this lit reads, it almost implies that most/all chiropractors are quacks. I also notice that the attacks on chiropractic in some of the lit are based on materialistic/Darwinistic rhetoric, with the usual mantra of It's not science thrown around like cheese on a pizza.

BTW --- getting your back and neck "popped" is one thing that feels gooooood, especially if you run 35 miles per week.

(3) When I drive, it seems as if most other drivers on the road are doing everything but concentrating on driving. When not talking on the cell phone, the drivers are bent down trying to dial with the cell phone. When not bent down trying to dial with the cell phone, the driver is reaching for something else.

It also seems more the rule than the exception that when the light turns green, the lead car is about five seconds delayed because, with all the yakking on the cell phone, the driver doesn't notice that, yes, the light has turned green.

Don't take this as an anti-cell-phone rant. Cell phones have a useful role to fulfill, and the market demands them. But, it seems that cell phones have a rather deleterious effect on the driving of many people.

(4) At the gym, it seems that my lifting buddy and I are the last reasonably young guys in the world without pierced whatevers and tattooes. [Is early- to mid-thirties still "young" ? Please say "yes."]

There is nothing morally wrong about pierced whatevers and tattooes, unless, I suppose, the tattoo is something vulgar. But, I've never understood the point of them. Likewise, I don't know what significance a bar through the tongue, lip, nose, nipple, genitals [!!], etc has on appearance. It just looks like it hurts.

(5) Somebody very recently described Aeon Flux to me as a "hot actress running around in a tight formfitting S&M suit" flick. If there was even a molecular amount of desire to see the film before that comment, it has perished. Sci-fi is dead on the silver screen.

(6) Diane crows about gasoline in Chicago being $2.13 a gallon where, out here in my California 'burb, it is $2.19. When it is 60+ degrees in December out here while Diane has to use [shameless pat on back] her $600 snowblower that PP Claus bought for her multiple times per day [/shameless pat on back], we can certainly live with an extra $0.06 per gallon. Enjoy the cheaper gas, Diane. That makes single-digit high temps so totally worth it, like, totally to the max, d00000d. I'll think of that extra $0.06 per gallon when I wear a t-shirt and shorts when running.

Now we completely switch gears:

(7) I don't know if this is heresy, but I believe that, based on studies of Romans stretching over the last few months, the Calvinists have a pretty good case for their exegesis [or exegeses] of Rom 9-11.

(8) The question of predestination, while worthy of study on its own merits, really doesn't interest me. In a functional sense, my coming to faith felt like my decision with my agency. The "feel" of how I was brought back to the church would be the same whether I really did make some "decision for Christ" or whether God reached quite deep into enemy lines to bring me to faith. On a personal level, I don't care much what the answer is. On the theological level, I'd contend that we cannot come to faith on our own agency, but that even coming to faith is itself an act of divine grace, and, ultimately a mystery.

(9) As I've gotten older [mid-thirties, I remind you all again], I've turned slowly into a "mere Christian." Now there is a way to do this properly, and a way to do it improperly.

The improper way is to immediately dismiss any doctrinal controversy and disputation as not being in accordance with good Christian luvin' while adopting some ecumenical posture that competing positions are true while attempting to impress the world with your open-mindedness and tolerance. Perhaps I could start a site with other likeminded people and spout all sorts of pseudointellectual and self-congratulatory nonsense regarding my tolerance and open-mindedness.

On the other hand, as I've gotten older, the haunting awareness of sin and a lack of appreciation for the grace shown by God to the likes of me makes doctrinal disputes over, say, predestination, not wrong, but more of very minor importance. I prefer to deal with the ideas of major importance [at least, what I consider to be the ideas of major importance] --- the issues of authority and scripture.

The above paragraph is not offered in any sort of prescriptive or normative sense that others have to follow, but is merely a comment or opinion, worthy to be placed in a thread called "Another Extra-Crispy PP Comment Bucket."

(10) Steve's line from a thread of his is worth repeating:

When I’m on my deathbed, staring into eternity, it will be quite irrelevant to me and to my Maker whether my passport is stamped with all the right names of all the approved luminaries.

Anyway, that is the latest installment of the comment bucket. I hope nobody expected originality or profundity, otherwise there would be serious disappointment.

Closing with another New Wave reference: everybody Wang Chung tonight!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're old the moment you walk off your highschool campus for the last time.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 3:06:00 AM  
Blogger Highland Host said...

Here in the UK using a 'cellphone' (we call them 'mobiles') while driving is ILLEGAL. And a good thing too, what's more.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

And now for the english version...wow man, I think you've got some issues? Maybe you can put point form to them on Daniel's Dbase of Dumb Beliefs in the 21st century.

Click here to accept

Thursday, December 15, 2005 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

HH --- I don't like such a law [libertarian reflex], but would hope that people could police themselves. The prob is that some of them don't seem to!

Jim --- I haven't a clue as to what you mean.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 1:04:00 PM  
Blogger Rhology said...

As for #9, the same thing started hitting me once I got into serious dialogue w/ a friend who was trying to get me to convert (along w/ him) to E O-xy. At the same time, I was making my way out of charismaticism and spending 8 months regularly posting at Steve Ray's DCF forum.
It really gave me a burden similar to point 9.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 5:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Mr. Pedantic, I feel the same way after reading some blogs. It's either my head doesn't fit in their space, or their space is in another realm?

Anyways, I didn't have an eloquent statement, so I had to go with "off the wall". No harm intended.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:21:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Jim --- ah OK. If you felt I had issues with a pretty vanilla post like this, imagine if you read the truly opinionated pieces here at PP!

Rhology --- I still like a good disputation here-n-there, but, speaking only for myself, I prefer to focus on the central issues. This is quite different than the 23 year old version of myself. The trick, as mentioned is to not turn into some squishy anything-goes sort of person.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home