Thursday, December 01, 2005

Mars Says: It Must Be The Shoes!

Dear ol' Dave and I headed to the gym tonight for our regular session of lifting and cardiovascular conditioning. With outdoor tennis not an option for the time being, we're back to my true love --- basketball.

[[My love for basketball is a tragic love that can never be fulfilled in its deepest fashion. I'm only 6', and, while not slow, I'm not fast enough to be a profoundly good 6' player, merely a competent one. I still have a collegiate-level shot, being able to stop-n-pop off screens and shoot comfortably from NBA three-point range, but a 6' college player today probably has much superior athleticism.]]

Anyway, just shooting around tonight, the magic returned. I dropped 17 [or 18] threes in a row. That's the most in a row in the last few years. The record of 27 in a row --- set one lonely night back in '89 when I was a team manager trying to sneak on the next year as a 11th or 12th man on our NCAA D-II squad --- appears to be that one singularity that can never be topped. In my early thirties, I'll take 17 [or 18] in a row. We're not sure because Dave and I dispute the count. So, go with 17 to be safe.

The real whopper is that I started some free throws afterward. My record [also back in '89] is 127 in a row. Once you get in a groove, starting a long streak is not as imposing as it seems, especially with somebody under the hoop feeding you the ball. Tonight, it felt as if the record might fall after some 17 years, but on the 89th free throw, the shot was a bit flat, and the streak stopped at 88. It would've been nice to hit triple digits, but we'll take what we can get! I was aided by a very kind roll somewhere when the streak was up in the fifties.

BTW --- free throws and three-pointers can be rather fickle sorts of things. I can usually bust out 20 throws in a row [eventually] before I leave the basketball court, and I can usually bust out a decent streak of bombs [eventually] from beyond the college arc unless I'm having a bad hair day or the legs are just dead. While the feeling is there, one wonders why one just can't duplicate it repeatedly. That's the addictive quality I suppose about hitting a golf ball, shooting a basketball, bowling properly, etc. On paper, it looks like you should be able to do the same thing over and over, but, we can't. Not even the best ones can. But it seems as if you can do it over and over. Hence there is this coming-back-for-more quality to golfing, shooting, bowling, batting, etc.

Oh well, this post keeps me from having to think up some substantial blog entry, and it lets me drop a few more 80's references, so we've killed two birds with one stone.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said...

We have too much in common: age, height, basketball, wrestling, good looks. Man!

Saturday, December 03, 2005 8:47:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Wouldn't it be funny if you and I were the same person, and either PP and/or Head of the Moor was a hoax?

That would throw the fans for a real loop!

Saturday, December 03, 2005 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

BTW Jonathan, I'm not a UFC fan. Not out of any ethical sense, but it strikes me as too violent. If a Christian wants to do UFC, more power to him. He can stand in my corner next time I start a fight at the local biker bar!

Saturday, December 03, 2005 8:11:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said...

Yes, I remember you don’t like UFC. When I was a kid I LOVED wrestling though. In fact, I went to a couple of events. The only guys I remember seeing live were Jake the Snake Roberts and the guy that read the poems (what was his name?).

Do you think the hoax is working?

Sunday, December 04, 2005 3:13:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

You may be referring to Lanny "the Poet" Poffo.

He started out as Lanny Poffo, then he became Leaping Lanny Poffo, then became Lanny "The Poet" Poffo, then he became Lanny "The Genius" Poffo, and then I think he went back to Lanny Poffo. He's the brother of Randy Poffo, aka Macho Man Randy Savage.

If the hoax where I'm you and you are me is believed, nobody seems to care.

Sunday, December 04, 2005 5:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home