Sunday, January 08, 2006

Loving Lost

Well, the other night I stayed up far too late watching the first two DVD's of Lost. I have never watched the show on television --- I have watched very little television since the mid-1990's --- but walking past the Lost DVD's every time I walk into a Blockbuster store put the idea of renting the DVD's in my mind.

To put it simply: now I see why many people are marking out over the show.

(1) The show is quite addictive --- interesting story, plenty of mystery, tight writing, and characters about whom you're captivated but simultaneously suspicious.

(2) Already after six shows, I have my own theories about the island. Following the suggestion of somebody, I wonder if the people are already dead and in "the next life." There are too many arguments against this though.

(3) "Jane" is somebody about whom I have to know more --- exactly what did she do? In the miracle of Hollywood, somehow, being marooned on an island for a week has helped her complexion.

(4) Mr Locke [I don't know if this is spelled correctly] is probably my favorite character. He says he "looked the island square in the eye" and what he saw was, in his words, "beautiful." There is something rather mystical about him --- he was a cripple but now he walks, and is sort of the survivalist/"bad dude"/quiet hero of the bunch. I still don't know much about his past beyond the flashbacks in the six episodes.

(5) Mr Sawyer embodies self-loathing and situational ethics. I hope he gets what is coming to him.

(6) I'm not really into the Korean couple, the pregnant Aussie, or the black man with his son.

(7) It is nice to see a show without a latent political agenda [so far based on the first six episodes]. I don't want to be lectured on right- or left-wing politics when I'm watching something for the purpose of quality veg time.

(8) It will be difficult to, after watching all of Season One quickly, without commericials, to catch up on Season Two while seeing one episode a week, with commercials. The show really makes you always want more, but, I'd contend that it does so without having to try too hard.

Side note --- I went to go rent the other DVD's of Season One at my local Blockbuster, but they were out. So, I did something I've never done before --- drive to another Blockbuster to secure the DVD's. That means that I'm totally into the show.

The fear of getting into the show is that all of the presently loose ends will not be tied together in a coherent fashion. Some examples of disappointment in my life:

(i) The Prisoner was one of my favorite shows of all time, but the final episode where No. 6 finds out who No. 1 is made very little sense and was such an anticlimax to the show.

(ii) X-Files became progressively more incoherent in its last few years.

(iii) Nowhere Man was cancelled after one season back in '95 on the then-fledgeling UPN network. I totally loved that show. I loved the plot, and it looked tightly written. It made me think. But it would be cancelled.

(iv) I have heard that Arrested Development will not be continued on FOX.

Oh well, I suppose that one should be grateful for the good entertainment that exists without acting as if one has a right to more.

This post has been nothing more than an excuse to procrastinate on some studying, so I'd better get back to work.

7 Comments:

Blogger Antonio said...

Hey, I am wondering what you would think about my newest blog entry about how the post-reformation scholastics significantly diverged from Calvin and Luther on the critical doctrine of assurance of salvation. Your comments would be appreciated!

Calvin vs. the Calvinists

It is appreciated!

Antonio

Sunday, January 08, 2006 11:23:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Hertzog said...

Not sure if you're aware but Nowhere Man is not out on DVD loaded with great bonus content. It's a must have for any fan.

For more info check out www.nowheremandvd.com

Get it before "they" take it off the shelves.

Monday, January 09, 2006 4:38:00 PM  
Blogger GeneMBridges said...

Wednesday night, they are running a "Revelations" episode before the next episode in S2. If you watch it, it will catch you up on Season 2.

And I'll admit that my guilty pleassure is the new Battlestar Galactica, but that's another thread.

Monday, January 09, 2006 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Antonio --- I'm long on ambitions but short on time and desire for theological affairs at the moment. And, there are two more Lost DVD's two sit through to get caught up!

Monday, January 09, 2006 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Rhology said...

Oh man! I used to DIG Nowhere Man, and though the final episode was really good, it made me wonder where "they" could possibly take it after that anyway. It looked like the plot was led out to its own conclusion...but a cool show!

Monday, January 09, 2006 11:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Ree said...

You sound like my two teenagers who have lately been into "24" marathon watching. They discovered the show recently when it was introduced by my daughter's friend, and they both watched all of Season 4 on DVD. Apparently Season 5 is starting soon, but they still haven't seen the first three seasons. And they won't anytime soon if I have any say in it. They're addicted!

Ree

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:20:00 AM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

Episode sets on DVD's are scientifically proven to keep people from getting their duties done!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home