Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Thrilling Life of a Pedantic Protestant

I should've finished up the Twenty Leaky Buckets mini-series a few days back, but, frankly, events have changed somewhat.

I got a Blockbuster card, and, of course, I just had to use it. So, in the evenings, when I get home from the gym, instead of showering and then sitting down for the pleasurable toil of twenty or so minutes of making a weblog entry, I've found that, after showering, the DVD player and the big comfy chair have called out to me.

To be exact, I've been going through Curb Your Enthusiasm season-by-season. After that, I got hooked on Arrested Development.

Actually, I find Arrested Development to be a truly clever show. The characters are simultaneously funny, exasperating, and pathetic, and the one straight man ["straight" as in the comedy "straight guy"] holds together all of the goofy characters. I liken the interplay of the characters on that show to a nice four-voice fugue. It's completely twisted humor, but it isn't scatological...if I can make up terms as I go along, it is a pleasantly subversive show.

Watching those DVD's is infinitely preferable to saying "This is a non-argument that has nothing to do with the evidence for the veracity of the gospels" or "Sociological observations today do not impinge on historical claims of the past" or some other sentence that, if articulated at a cocktail party, will ensure that one will have plenty of space around him while the ladies flock to the guy who brags that his house has tripled in value over the last few years since he put in granite-top counters.

A Blockbuster card might as well say "You are simply not going to get done what you thought you would" on it, because you are simply not going to get done what you thought you would after you walk through a Blockbuster.

Next on the plate: Season One of Lost, if I can squeeze it in.

Anyway, I, uh, need to get, yeah, back to work, yeah, that's, uh, right...back to work....

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve Jackson said...

Speaking of wrestling, what is the name for a wrestler who invariably loses? I assumed it was "heal," but Wikipedia set me straight.

When I was growing up, on WWF all you would see is a good wrestler fight some chump.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:00:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

A wrestler who is set up to lose is known as a "jobber." The bad guys are the "heels." The jobber puts the winner "over the top" so that the winner can get a "pop" from the crowd along with some "cheap heat."

This link will make you sound like the sort of guy who has lived in his mother's basement his whole life while watching wrestling!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:28:00 PM  
Blogger Rhology said...

Ha ha - sounds like when I went to stay at a missionary's house in a nearby Japanese city...stayed up late and watched the 2nd episode of LOST. Was very interested - what a cool show!

But I'm still not reading about the episodes - I'm preparing to turn off my PC much more often now that college football season is over. Must...study...Japanese...

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 9:13:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

I want to watch Lost from the first episode on. That means a few trips to Blockbuster and sacrificing a few hours of sleep, and, more importantly, avoiding people who talk about what is going on in the show!

If anybody out there wants to get revenge on me, blurt out spoilers on the show. That would definitely be like a piledriver on the concrete outside the ring.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Moorhead said...

LOST is my favorite show . . . still talking to self . . .

Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:54:00 PM  
Blogger Pedantic Protestant said...

I rented the first six episodes of Lost at Blockbuster, will watch them this weekend if time permits.

We'll see what the fuss is all about.

Friday, January 06, 2006 9:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home